How to serve ads in an email newsletter
This guide will show you how to serve email ads through AdButler.
You will learn how to:
- Create an email ad zone.
- Add an email ad item.
- Configure an email zone tag.
- Set an email zone tag in an email template.
Step 1: Create an email ad zone
- Go to the dashboard of the relevant publisher ( Your AdButler > Publishers > Your Publisher ).
- Click on Add New under the Zones table. The Zone Type window will appear.
- Click on Email.
- Give the ad zone a name. It helps to name zones clearly and consistently to make them easy to identify throughout the AdButler interface. To follow this guide, name the zone Example Email Ad Zone.
- Select one of the preset dimensions or enter the size of the email ad items to be served in the zone.
- You can enable ad rotation by clicking on its checkbox and entering a period in minutes or days. When enabled, AdButler will serve a different ad based on your chosen period.
- Click Create Zone to save the new email ad zone. It wil appear in the table of zones in the publisher's dashboard.
Step 2: Add an email ad item
- Go to the dashboard of the relevant email ad zone (Your AdButler > Publishers > Your Publisher > Your Email Ad Zone).
- Click on Add New above the Email Ad Items table. The New Ad Item settings will appear.
- Select a serve method. For more information, read Serve Method Options. The rest of the settings will appear.
- Give the ad item a name. To follow this guide, use Example Email Ad Item. Fill in the rest of the fields as needed. For more information on image ad item settings, read Creating an image ad item.
- Click Save. The new image ad item will appear in the table of ad items in the email ad zone dashboard.
Step 3: Configure an email zone tag
Go to the dashboard of the relevant email ad zone ( Your AdButler > Publishers > Your Publisher > Your email zone ).
Click Get Zone Tags in the right menu of the email ad zone dashboard. The Zone Tags window will appear.
- Paste your email provider's EUID in the Email User ID Macro field. The example shown below uses Mailchimp's EUID.
- You can now copy the zone tag and add it to the body of your email template.
Step 4: Set the email ad zone tag
- Create a custom email template where you will add your zone tag. Look for the field in the template where you can place a snippet of code, such as the zone tag.
- In the HTML field, paste your zone tag code inside the section or wherever you want your ad to appear inside the newsletter. Be sure to save your template.
When you send out your email newsletter using this template to your subscribers, any ads assigned to that zone tag will appear within the email.
Example: Setting the zone tag in a Mailchimp email template
- Configure and copy your email ad zone tag as shown in step 3. Mailchimp's EUID is
- Log in to your Mailchimp account, then click Create in the left navigation menu.
- Click Email then select either Regular or Plain text.
- Name the email then click Begin.
- Click Design Email in the email template creator. You will be asked to select a template.
- Click on the Code your own tab.
- Click on Paste in code.
- Create your template in the text field, then add the zone tag into the template's body.