Serving third party ad tags
You need third party ad tags to serve for ads from a third party, such as an ad exchange or another ad server. To track clicks for such ads, you must insert a tracking link macro into the ad tag provided by the third party. The ads will serve and AdButler will be able to track impressions without the tracking link, but you won't log any clicks.
Before following this guide, ask your ad provider where and how to insert AdButler's tracking link macro into their ad tag, and whether you need to insert
TRACKING_LINK_ENCODED. You may also want to read Examples of Common 3rd Party Ad Tags to see how to add AdButler's tracking link macros in the ad tags of popular third party ad providers.
How to add a third party ad tag in AdButler
- Get the third party ad tag from your ad provider, ensuring it contains a destination URL.
- Use a text editor to insert the appropriate AdButler tracking macro into the ad tag.
- Go to the dashboard of the campaign where you will assign the third party ad (Advertisers > Your Advertiser > Your Campaign).
- Click Add New under the Ad Items table. The ad item type window will appear.
- Click Custom HTML / 3rd Party Tag. The New Ad Item settings page will appear.
- Give the ad a name.
- Leave the Destination URL field blank.
- Paste the third party ad tag that you edited into the Raw HTML/Script field.
- Configure the other settings as needed, then click Save Ad Item.
You can now assign the campaign to a zone then send or place the zone tag on the publisher's site to serve the ad. Read our Quick Start Guide to learn how to assign a campaign to a zone and how to place zone tags.
Sample third party ad tag with included tracking link macros: