Keyword targeting in AdButler allows you to match campaigns or ad items to specific keywords set by a website. Setting up basic keyword targeting is a two part process, and surprisingly easy!
How keyword targeting works
window.abkw is recorded as the keyword for that page. In most cases,
window.abkw won't be set to any keyword and AdButler will ignore it.
window.abkw is set to a keyword, AdButler will then look at the placements in the zone to see if any match the keyword. Depending on the Keyword Match Method, one of two things will happen if the keyword matches. If it is set to Preferred the placement will be more likely to appear. If a keyword is Required, the placement will only serve if the keyword matches.
window.abkwneeds to be set specifically on the page. AdButler does not crawl for keywords on a page.
How to set a keyword
There are a bunch of different ways you could set a keyword, but below is the most common method. If you're using a website builder like WordPress, you can sub in a macro or some sort of page identifier for the keyword to make it dynamic.
- Open up the source code for the Header of your web page.
- Add the follow snippet to the code in your header:
<script> window.abkw = 'YOUR_KEYWORD'; </script>
'YOUR_KEYWORD'with they keyword you want for that page, making sure to keep it within the
- Save the changes to the webpage.
window.abkwinto the console you'll display the keyword for the that page.
Assigning a keyword to a placement
The keyword for a placement is set on its assignment page, and can be changed at any time.
- Navigate to the assignment page for the placement you want to be targeted.
- Scroll down to and expand the targeting section.
- In the Keywords field, type in the keyword you're looking for.
- Set whether the keyword is Required or Preferred with the Keyword Match Method.
- Click Save at the bottom.
Advanced keyword strategies
Keyword targeting can be a very powerful feature for creating dynamic ad serving setups. We encourage you to read through all our keyword articles to learn more about all the different approaches.